A few weeks ago I posted about increasing the flood interval on my honey pot board. My theory was that since bots seem to have a fairly regular posting process I could cut down on the number of spam posts simply by changing the flood interval.
It didn’t seem to work.
I checked the post stats a few minutes ago, and while the posting did drop on the days around where I first changed the flood interval, it has also dropped like that previously. So I can’t determine whether this was a natural lull in bot activity or as a result of the flood interval change. I realize today that I should have added some code that tracked how many times the flood interval warning was issued, and I did not do that, so I really don’t have any way to analyze my data or justify my conclusions. I’m a little bit disappointed in myself for not thinking about that until now.
Here is a chart of the posting activity. I have marked the point where I changed the flood interval. As you can probably see, it’s not really possible to draw any conclusions about the effectiveness of this technique based on the data I have collected.
To be very clear, I don’t think that increasing the flood control time limit is a valid anti-spam measure anyway. It does exactly what you don’t want to do as a board owner… it makes your valuable real users alter their own behavior. You want to make your board experience a good one, otherwise people will find somewhere else to go.
At the time of this post there are 5 registered users and 7 guest users online, there are 45,556 total posts and 7,670 total users registered on my honey pot.